Where is the blog's beginning?
Click here to go to the first entry

Monday, March 28, 2011

Awesome Technology

When it comes to cancer care in 2011, in the United States, here in Wisconsin, the engineer and photographer in me is grateful and proud of the available digital diagnostic technology. The technology is improving exponentially.

Like the expansion of the Internet and the digital camera, diagnostic imaging is improving cancer detection, monitoring, and care. I don't like the fact that Carl has cancer, but if you have to get cancer, (and you can't delay getting cancer into the future), now is the time to get it over any other period in time, any other millennium, century or year. The 'technology', drugs, and care is improving. Teams of engineers, scientists, technicians and doctors have created the technology I am going attempt to show you below.

Don't let the fact that this technology is cool make you think I am in any way happy that my husband has cancer. The pep talk above does not make it any easier for me to use photo shop to try to document this tumor. I am doing this (originally) for my children; also my spouse, our relatives and friends; and others who may stumble across this post trying to understand cancer. I do not like spending time trying to make the images understandable. But I think I can use my time to help some people understand more about cancer, or Carl's cancer, where ever their interest might lie.

Below are some MRI images that show the tumor in Carl's neck as of Jan 5, 2011. MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. See Wikipedia for technological information on MRI's. Basically, MRI's use a large machine, a lot of physics and a lot of engineering to take multiple cross section photos of a part of the body, in this case Carl's neck.

If you can't see how Figure 1 or Figure 2 are images of a view of a neck, see Figure 3 and 4 below for some added 'visual' information which may help you to be able to better understand the MRI's.

Figure 1 is a MRI of a sarcoma in Carl's neck as of Jan 5, 2011. This is a view as the doctor or technician can see it on their computer screen. On the computer, the doctor can manipulate settings like contrast.

MRI of sarcoma tumor near spine and cervical vertebrae C1 C2 in neck

Figure 2 is a MRI of a sarcoma in Carl's neck as of Jan 5, 2011 with different settings, as the doctor or technician can see it on their computer screen. Notice how the neck vertebrae (the bones) stand out differently then in Figure 1 above. In Figure 1 the vertebrae (bones) are gray, in Figure 2 the bones are dark and stand out more. The tumor is more visible in Figure 2 when the bones are dark.

MRI of sarcoma tumor in a neck

Figure 3 is Figure 2 with some added 'visual' information. I took the Figure 2 above and in photoshop I added colors and labels, and drew a childish outline to help you orient the placement of the head, which hopefully helps you better understand the MRI. Figure 3 is NOT what the doctors see on their computer screens.


MRI of sarcoma tumor near spine and cervical vertebrae C1 C2 in neck by Selep Imaging

Figure 4 is Figure 2 with some added 'visual' information. It is my first attempt at showing what parts are what. I took the Figure 2 above and in photo shop I added labels, and drew a childish outline to help you orient the placement of the head. Figure 4 is NOT what the doctors see on their computer screens.

MRI of sarcoma tumor near spine and cervical vertebrae C1 C2 in neck by Selep Imaging

MRI's are good for showing tissues, and differences in tissues. Carl also gets CAT scans. CAT scans are good at showing bone and structures like veins. I hope to show you CAT scans on a different future post. Carl also gets some X-Rays, which are good for showing bones, although differently then in a CAT scan. The combination of MRI's and CAT scans give doctors knowledge (and a visual picture) of things inside the body that used to be able to only be seen once a surgeon cut the body open. Now, the doctors and surgeons learn much before any cuts are made.

My children find these photos interesting for several seconds, and then at some point the information creeps them out and they need to walk away. It is not just a screen shot, it is a tumor that once was in their dad. (Surgery removed almost all of the tumor in Carl's neck on Monday Jan 24, 2011.) I am telling you about my 11-16 year old children's responses so that you may be aware of and accept your own feelings. I find it easiest to view these images when I detach them from being my husband's neck images. (It is easier to view them 'clinically'.)

I waited months to post these images. Maybe you will understand why. Whatever.

The next blog post will talk about Carl's MRI more specifically.

Click on any images to see it larger (and less blurry.)

No comments: