Where is the blog's beginning?
Click here to go to the first entry

Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas 2010



This is the picture that should have been my Christmas card, so... MERRY CHRISTMAS.

(We went to the Domes and took a bunch of photos with a great background, but the tree behind us was in focus, and we were not. Then the setting sun light lit up a patch in this spot, so we took a quick shot here, but there is a pole growing out of Miranda's head.) This is the second year in a row that I didn't send out Christmas cards. This bums me out more then it should.




We had a good Christmas. Much better then last year's (2009).



Above is a family photo snapped at Carl's sister's house on Christmas day, Saturday, December 25, 2010. The next day Carl's hair mostly fell out, and he had to wear a hat to church to cover the bare patches.

On Monday, December 27, 2010, Carl went in for inpatient chemotherapy from Monday to Thursday December 30, 2010. The Doctors shortened the chemotherapy stay by one day so that Carl could try to attend New Years Day events. He is really tired, and so am I, but we are both glad he is home again.

I am feeling reflective on this year, and I thought I would be blogging about my feelings, but I find I just can't. My
feelings are "complicated". 2010 was a good year. At the beginning of 2010 there were no guarantees that Carl would still be here one year later. All I heard was that terrible word Cancer. I know more of what the cancer journey is like, and what will be happening in 2011 is not the big unknown that the start of 2010 was, but I am still unsure of what I feel about all this. I had a lot of good days and good moments. I had some bad days and bad moments. I think Carl could say the same. I am glad my family is intact, I am thankful for friends, family, and good health care. I hate cancer, and the fact that Carl has cancer. I want to end this paragraph on a good note, so I guess I will say that I am hopeful for 2011.

I'll quote Carl (although he was not the first to say this) - A day above ground is a good day.

Happy New year to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was doing my research on the latest "what the he'll does that imply" topic, when I ran across your blog.

Going through much the same...but taking it sequentially, existentially, dealing with the right here right now and forgetting the should have, could have, what if moments that in the end are a trap that prevent being aware of the most important moment...this one.

May 2011 bring you much more good moments than bad, and for the bad ones, may you find strength to plow through them with grace. Marc