Where is the blog's beginning?
Click here to go to the first entry

Monday, June 14, 2010

Early and Mid June

I haven't blogged for a while. It's harder to get motivated to blog when things aren't going so great. Things could be a lot worse, though, so I guess I'll bring you up to date and hope that the next blog can be fun, witty and full of good news.

Carl had Chemotherapy (outpatient) on May 24, 2010, and June 1, 2010.

and Sunday, June 5-6, 2010, Carl pretty much laid in bed and crashed. He took pain pills, nausea pills, and more. The medicines pretty much only took an edge off feeling poorly. Carl didn't sleep well, and he wasn't interested in eating anything. I guess we could probably say Carl had a normal reaction to chemotherapy, but since it isn't normal for us it makes me very concerned. How do you tell the difference between a normal reaction to chemo and dying? I don't know, and neither does Carl. I guess if you are really doing badly, you get a temperature first. Carl's leg rash continued to get worse and hurt. Carl felt well enough to attend a boy scout meeting, but that was the extent of his energy for the day.

Monday, June 7, 2010, I think Carl dragged himself to work, and dragged himself home. Don't eat, try to sleep. The children are having their last week of school, with all that entails - special projects due, tests and exams, field trips and taking extra food to school, etc.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010, Carl didn't go into work. He was actually sleeping better, and not taking pain pills, but still no interest in eating. And it was cold and rainy out, and we had a power out. Tom was home from school, since it was exam week and Tom had no exams on Tuesday.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010, Carl finally had some energy. He went to work, even though his rash now actually had a charcoal gray looking area on it. Pretty. On a happy note, the whole family went to Anthony's 8th grade graduation ceremony Wednesday night. Carl's leg hurt enough that he was using his cane, which he hasn't used for months. (Carl says the pain pills don't do anything for his leg, so he doesn't take them.) Two children are now done with school for the summer (Tom and Anthony) and the other two have just one more day.

Thursday, June 10, 2010, Carl went to work, and called to tell me that the rash area behind his knee cracked open and was oozing clear blister like fluid. (Yes, I know - GROSS.) I had enough of worrying about his leg rash so I called the Dr. and dragged Carl down to the cancer center. (Carl went as a favor to me.) The various people said his leg was having radiation recall, or variocolitis[?] (something unpronounceable, starts with a v, and ends in itis), and the Oncologist said that Carl could cancel his next chemotherapy (Scheduled for June 14, 2010). Chemotherapy will wait until his leg heals up and doesn't look so disgusting. Go heal - and so Carl went back to work, and I collected Miranda from her last day at Elementary school. School's out for the summer!

I am now done with my one year of having four children in three schools. (Tom at Homestead High School, Anthony and Nathan at Steffen Middle School, and Miranda at Wilson Elementary School.) Miranda graduated from 5th grade, ending my 11th year of continuously having children in Wilson Elementary School. (From 2000 to 2010) Under other circumstances I think I would have felt nostalgic, but considering the past week; and all of 2010 to date, I am just thankful that the Elementary School "chapter" is over. I didn't even take any photos from the last day of school. (I think I will remember it anyway.) I am grateful for the great school and teachers my children have had there, it may well be the best school my children will ever have, but I am so glad the school is done.

Friday, June 11, 2010, Carl went to work, and the kids stayed home. Carl is feeling better and eating, and he will be able to rest a lot over the weekend. The children already want to do everything they want to do in the summer today, friends, shopping, biking, swimming, camping, etc. Three of the children and I did head to the airshow at the lakefront at 3:30.

Saturday & Sunday, June 12-13, 2010, Carl is doing better each day, his leg is still a mess, but we are getting some rest.

Monday, June 14, 2010, Carl to work, Vacation Bible School starts (for Miranda) and hanging at home on a cool, rainy, overcast day. Had Carl's leg been in better shape, I would be juggling the children and taking Carl in for Chemotherapy today.

I think I am kind of exhausted, worn out, tired. I think maybe we all are. It's kind of a weird way to start summer.


Bridget said...

Hang in there, sweetie! The Greuels will invade soon and take a few children off your hands (the girls would like to see Miranda).

Bridget said...

Hang in there, sweetie! The Greuels will invade soon and take a few children off your hands (the girls would like to see Miranda).

Sue Mayer said...

Oh Jeanne, wow, you're right not the way to start summer. You are all in my prayers always. I can't even imagine what your feeling and going through. Call if you need something or need to escape for awhile.

Hey I wanted to tell you at the game. Sam brought me the DVD you did and we all watched it together. It's amazing what you created and what a wonderful memory we have of all 3 kids. They have all grown up so much since then, time is just going too fast. Thank you for the memories!!